2018 IRC P2903.3 & P2903.3.1 Min/Max Water

Welcome Forums Residential Codes Discussion 2018 IRC P2903.3 & P2903.3.1 Min/Max Water

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #12441
    Ed Tiernan

    This is my first ever asking for guidance in a digital forum or format.

    A resident is questioning why he is responsible for paying for a pressure reducing valve several years after the CO was issued. The current pressure at the hose bib is 100 psi. He asserts that either/or the plumber or water authority should have incorporated the device at the street.

    P2901.3.1 states that the static water pressure shall not be greater than 80 psi (551 kPa). Where the main pressure exceeds 80 psi (551kPa), an approved pressure reducing valve conforming to ASSA 1003 or
    CSA B356 shall be installed on the domestic water branch main or riser at the connection to the water meter
    service pipe.

    Thus the 100 psi pressure requires the PRV.

    The plumber would be responsible to verify the incoming pressure supplied by the authority in my opinion.

    P2503.7 Water-supply system testing. Upon completion of
    the water-supply system or a section of it, the system or portion
    completed shall be tested and proved tight under a water
    pressure of not less than the working pressure of the system
    or, for piping systems other than plastic, by an air test of not
    less than 50 psi (345 kPa). This pressure shall be held for not
    less than 15 minutes. The water used for tests shall be
    obtained from a potable water source.

    When is best time to test the working pressure of the system?

    Any & all comments are welcomed…

    Ed Tiernan
    Willistown Township

    Craig Doll


    I agree the plumber’s first task before installing supply piping in the structure is to test or at least verify with water department for adequate water supply and delivery pressure. Even if the plumber did not test/verify pressure before installing supply piping, the plumber should not have left the job without checking the end pressure.

    High water pressure has a very bad effect on the operation and life of appliances and fixtures. Unfortunately, most residential building projects except for multi-family housing on public water there is no requirements for installing a water pressure gauge unless home is getting water from private well.

    Maybe a request should be made to update code to require water pressure gauges in all water supply systems regardless of occupancy.

    When I’m performing a final inspection in an area that I personally know has high pressure issues I will require a pressure verification before issuing occupancy certificate.

    Craig A. Doll MCP
    Lower Allen Township

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.