Job Title: Rental Housing Assistant
Bureau: Housing Inspections Department: Community Development
Reports to: Chief Building Inspector Union Status: Non-union/Contract
Exempt / Non Exempt: Exempt Compensation: 75 Hrs. / 260 Days / 7.5 Hours/Day
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This position is responsible for assisting the City of Bethlehem’s Housing Inspection Bureau, Bureau of Code Enforcement and Planning and Zoning, with the rental program and the construction permit process. Duties include, but are not limited to, assisting and facilitating the scheduling of regulated rental inspections, management of regulated rental registrations / licensing, inspection reports, answering phones, processing payments and all office-related tasks associated with rental properties, residential rental program and the construction permitting process, as well as zoning support. Considerable judgment and independent action in establishing or adapting work procedures to new situations are also required.
- Thorough knowledge of municipal codes related to permits, City Zoning codes, non-technical building codes, and other regulations and City ordinances;
- Ability to read, interpret, apply and explain codes, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Ability to use complex computer programs;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relations with owners and managers of residential rental units;
- Ability to communicate effectively using tact, patience, and courtesy to explain rules, codes and standards; and the ability to maintain records and files;
- Excellent customer service skills and attention to details;
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university or a high school diploma and two (2) years’ experience in community development, zoning, planning, housing inspections or code enforcement or any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the required skills, knowledge, and ability to perform the job.
- Knowledge of construction permitting, contractor licensing, city procedures, rules and ordinances
- Knowledge of the International Property Maintenance Codes
- Ability to analyze, interpret and accurately review complex proposals.
- Serves as the support position for the Bureau of Housing Inspections, Code Enforcement and Planning and Zoning with the goal of helping the city’s property owners navigate all elements of the process of registration / licensing, inspections and permitting
- Serves as case manager for all registration / licensing of the regulated rental units.
- Communicates with property owners regarding the City’s residential rental regulations.
- Prepares registration / licensing materials for residential rentals.
- Works with property owners to ensure registration / licensing compliance.
- Generates and distributes residential rental registrations / licenses.
- Manages and schedules inspections for residential rental properties.
- Generates and distributes inspection reports for applicable properties
- Develops and improves administrative procedures for the residential rental program.
- Review permits for accuracy and completeness.
- Assist in the preparation of Zoning Certification Letters.
- Assists, by all means possible, owners, developers, contractors, elected officials, City administration and City staff to understand the registration / licensing, inspection and permitting process, as needed.
- All other duties as assigned
Physical Requirements: Constant sitting
Frequent standing and walking
Occasional bending over, climbing, reaching, and kneeling
Occasional pushing or pulling with arms and legs
Ability to lift up to 25lbs
Occasional repetitive use of hands
Working Conditions: Normal office environment
Occasional site visits
Safety Sensitive: Safety equipment as required per site visits
CITY OF BETHLEHEM HUMAN RESOURCES
10 East Church Street, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18018-6025
HR Phone: 610-865-7015