PLAN EXAMINER (PAY GRADE 20) LOCAL 1607
Salary – $40,411.00 – $62,694.00 Annually
Location – New Castle, DE
Job Type – Regular Full-time
Job Number – 05122023_SEPTEMBER 2023
Department – Land Use
Division – Land Use
Opening Date – 09/15/2023
Closing Date – 10/15/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
Candidates may submit online employment applications using the NEOGOV online application system available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nccde.
EXAMINATION PROCESS: The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Reviews construction drawings and plans to assure compliance with all New Castle County codes; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class examines prints and plans for construction projects from throughout the County before a building permit is issued to assure that the plans adhere to all New Castle County codes relating to construction. This employee also determines whether or not the proposed construction is a permitted use in the zoning classification and meets all setback requirements. This employee reviews permit applications for completeness and ascertains that all other required outside permits have been obtained prior to issuing the permit. When technical problems are evident in plans, this employee may advise architects, engineers, construction managers, other professionals, or the permittee as to the proper methods and materials to use for meeting code restrictions. This employee must keep abreast of new technical developments and engineered systems in the construction field. When technical problems do arise pertaining to construction, this employee makes field inspections to ascertain compliance with approved plans. This employee works under general supervision.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Reviews and approves construction plans to assure compliance with codes relating to exits, structural members, fire proofing, occupancy, fire protection, plumbing, HVAC, etc;
- Refers to engineering tables to check on the adequacy of proposed load bearing members in the structure;
- Interprets and provides information and answers pertaining to New Castle County codes relating to construction and assists inspectors in explaining the code to applicants for permits;
- Maintains current knowledge of technical developments and engineered systems in the construction field;
- Calculates and estimates valuation of proposed construction for permit fees and assists in processing applications for building permits;
- Coordinates with outside regulatory agencies to ensure that various approvals required for construction projects are obtained;
- Maintains a daily log of all work reviewed;
- Keeps appropriate records and prepares plan review reports;
- May instruct inspectors in subjects such as plan review and blueprint reading;
- Reviews and approves lines and grades for swimming pools, garages, accessory buildings, and additions;
- Works with New Castle County code enforcement to provide code interpretation and resolve problems relating to code violations and non permitted activity;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of building construction and alterations; thorough knowledge of the techniques and principles in reading and interpreting plans, specifications, and blueprints accurately; good knowledge of codes and ordinances relating to construction; ability to perform mathematical calculations necessary to compute estimated valuation of building; ability to use appropriate engineering tables to verify the adequacy of proposed load bearing members in structures; ability to maintain current knowledge of technical developments in the construction field; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with architects, engineers, and contractors on problems of a technical nature; ability to maintain accurate records.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least one (1) year experience in building construction work and at least two (2) years of college course work involving drafting and interpretation of construction drawings; or an equivalent combination of experience, education, or training directly related to the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Possession of a valid Delaware Class D driver’s license or its equivalent. Successful completion of the following ICC required disciplines within time specified with maintenance of current status in all required areas (all costs associated with ICC examinations, verification, and subsequent maintenance of current status in such examination areas shall be borne by the employee or applicant unless otherwise provided for in a collective bargaining agreement): ICC: B3 (Building Plans Examiner) within one year of date of hire or promotion.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must pass a Class III County physical examination and a background check.
Office of Human Resources
Interested candidates can view and apply for this job at PLAN EXAMINER (PAY GRADE 20) LOCAL 1607 | Job Details tab | Career Pages (governmentjobs.com)