The Township of Derry Dept. of Community Development is seeking qualified applicants for the full-time position of Code Enforcement Officer. The successful candidate will be tasked with administration of the PA Uniform Construction Code (PA-UCC), International Property Maintenance Code, and other ordinances of Township. Duties include plan reviews, on-site inspections, meeting with the public, and prosecution of violations. Some International Construction Code and/or PA-UCC certifications for plan review and field inspection are required. Applicants should be self-motivated and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. Excellent benefits package provided.
A resume, cover letter, and salary requirements may be submitted to the Township of Derry, Department of Community Development, 600 Clearwater Road, Hershey, PA 17033.
Typical Responsibilities & Essential Duties
- Review of permit applications for compliance with codes and ordinances.
- Inspection of construction work for which a building permit is required.
- Read and interpret codes, technical manuals, construction drawings and specifications as related to construction projects.
- Confer with architects, contractors, builders, developers, and the general public in the field and office to explain and interpret requirements of the various codes and ordinances.
- Investigate all credible complaints from the general public and Township officials of various codes and ordinance violations and take appropriate actions to resolve issues as directed by Department Director.
- Conduct inspections to ensure the protection of public health, safety and welfare as contained in the ordinances of the Township.
- Make written reports on all inspections, issue corrective action notices on violations, and maintain records necessary for possible legal action as required.
- Assist the Director and Assistant Director with the issuance of Zoning permits and inspections.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma and two years of experience in inspection or the construction trades, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certification in a minimum of three areas of residential inspection from the International Code Council or PA Department of Labor and Industry.
- Must obtain either ICC Residential Building Inspector certification or ICC Building Inspector certification within six months of employment.
- Ability to obtain additional certifications as directed.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of building inspection.
- Knowledge of structural design and engineering for residential and commercial construction methods.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices used in the establishment and enforcement of local ordinances.
- Ability to interpret and enforce statues, ordinances and regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Ability to detect hazards and violations and recommend corrective measures during field inspection work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, contractors, and the public.
- Ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to enforce regulations with firmness, consistency, tact and courtesy in field inspection work.
- Ability to remain calm, objective and impartial under stressful conditions.
- Valid PA Drivers License or transferable equivalent out-of-state license.
- PA Sewage Enforcement Officer certification is a plus