This position is a full-time, benefited position, split evenly between the Boroughs of Etna and Sharpsburg. In Etna, the person will perform both code enforcement and rental inspections. In Sharpsburg, the person will perform rental inspections. The position reports to the Borough Managers of both communities.
Borough of Etna Essential Job Functions
• Inspect rental properties on a 3-year rotation by ward to assure compliance with International Property Maintenance Code (version) 2012.
• Compliance inspection on all property closings.
• Issue inspection reports (Violation Notices) to landlords or property management for rental properties or to property owners or agents for property closings.
• Reinspect properties, as necessary.
• Issue compliance certificate for rental properties and property closings that have passed inspection.
• Issue private complaints to district court for non-compliance and appear in court, if necessary
• Maintain accurate records of all rental properties and property closings.
• Enforce all borough ordinances by observations and reported complaints.
• Provide a monthly summary report to Borough Manager for distribution to Council.
• Coordinate with other staff members on various administrative tasks and issues associated with the rental inspection program and borough ordinances.
• Maintain accurate mileage records for reimbursement per IRS guidelines. Mileage is reimbursed at the IRS rate (Federal Standard)
Borough of Sharpsburg Essential Job Functions
• Enforce the Reasonable Rental Ordinance, codified in eCode360 in sections 11-201 through 11-239
• Schedule inspections of all rental units
• Inspect all rental properties within the two-year cycle to assure compliance with International Property Maintenance Code 2012
• Reinspect properties, as necessary
• Issue inspection reports to landlords
• Issue occupancy permits for rental properties that have passed inspection
• Issue citations for non-compliance and appear in court, if necessary
• Maintain accurate records of all rental properties
• Maintain accurate mileage records for reimbursement per IRS guidelines
• Provide a monthly summary report to Borough Manager for distribution to Council
• Coordinate with other staff members on various administrative tasks and issues associated with the rental inspection program
• Perform other related tasks as needed or assigned
• Must hold and maintain a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation that can be used for work. Mileage is reimbursed at the IRS rate (current $0.655 per mile)
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and in making decisions.
• Ability and willingness to take directives
• One year or more of inspection services preferred
• Willingness to attend classes and/or trainings to gain additional certifications, as needed, to grow the role.
• Ability to use a computer for email, accessing the internet, and for using common applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel
• Willingness and aptitude to begin the process of shifting rental inspection documentation from paper to digital format with training as needed
Compensation and Benefits
$25 per hour plus defined benefit pension, comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability insurance, and option to participate in a 457 Plan. There is paid vacation and sick time. Mileage is reimbursed per IRS guidelines. This is an in-person position, forty hours per week, that is split evenly between Etna and Sharpsburg Boroughs.
The Boroughs of Etna and Sharpsburg provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
More info at https://sharpsburgborough.com/employment/